When you suffer an injury while engaged in work-related activities while driving, you should be entitled to workers' compensation. However, the amount of money you'll receive through workers' compensation is not very high and it may make more sense to file a car accident claim.

Workers' Compensation Claims

Workers' compensation covers you regardless of whether you are at fault for the accident or not. However, the workers' compensation program is also limited in how much it will compensate you for your injuries and some of your lost wages while you are out of work. The compensation you receive will be smaller than if you were to file an auto accident injury claim with the insurance provider of another driver.

Personal Injury Claims

If you will be seeking compensation from an at-fault driver, you will contact their auto insurance provider. Then, you will negotiate a settlement and the insurance provider may compensate you up to the policy limit.

Filing an auto accident claim can be more difficult than filing a workers' compensation claim, and you will therefore want to consult with an experienced auto accident lawyer before doing so. You will need to gather evidence that the driver was at fault for the accident because being injured is not enough to receive compensation.

Workers' Compensation Claims Come with Some Challenges

While a workers' compensation claim can be easier than a personal injury claim in many cases, it will not always be easy. For example, your employer might not cooperate with the process of filing a claim or with the investigation. The workers' compensation insurance provider might also deny your claim.

With both workers' compensation cases and personal injury cases, you will need to prove that you are injured and you must also prove that your injuries are a result of the accident. 

Receive More Money in Compensation Through an Auto Accident Claim

In addition to compensation for medical bills and lost wages, you may be entitled to other damages through an auto accident claim, such as pain and suffering. You will also be entitled to compensation for any damage done to your car. Also, even with your lost wages, you may be entitled to a greater amount of compensation.

With workers' compensation, you will only receive a portion of your lost wages, which is determined by the state, while you may receive full compensation for your lost wages as well as punitive damages through a lawsuit. Therefore, you will want to speak with an auto accident lawyer to find out whether you have a case.